Posted on Dec 12th 2018
One of the most treasured holiday decorations is the snow globe, and what way to make it even more memorable than by creating your very own?
This easy-to-make snow globe is a fun and creative way to get your kids involved in the holiday decorating, and will be a memorable keepsake for years to come.
- Plastic or Glass Jar with Lid
- Plastic Figurine
- Florist Clay
- Greenery and/or Flowers (2-4 Sprigs)
- 2-4 Different Colors of Glitter
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Stick
- Yellow, Blue, White, and Red Model Magic«. (NOTE: The yellow and blue can be mixed to create green.)
- School Glue
The History of Snow Globes
We don't know exactly when the first snow globe, or snow dome, was made, but they appear to date back to the early 1800s in France.
They used to be made from heavy lead glass placed over a ceramic figure, filled with water and sealed. The snow was bone chips or pieces of porcelain, sand or even sawdust.
- Select a figurine for inside the globe. Then, using half of the florist clay, attach the figure to the inside of the jar lid. Make sure the florist clay wraps around the feet or bottom of the figurine. (NOTE: Make sure not to cover the threads of the lid or the jar will not seal properly.)
- With the second half of the florist clay, add some greenery to the inside of the lid around your figurine. Preview what it will look like by putting the jar over the top. Make sure the greenery does not touch the edges of the jar.
- Carefully fill the jar with cold water to about ╝" below the top rim. If it's too full it will spill over, but if it is not full enough your will have an air pocket inside of the globe.
- Sprinkle some glitter (approx. 1 small palm full) into the jar.
- Screw the lid onto the jar and crank tight.
- To ensure that the water doesn't leak out, use your hot glue gun to seal the lid to the jar. A small bead of glue around the seal will do the trick.
- Now it's time to decorate the outside of your snow globe! Get out the Model Magic and create a coil (or snake). Wrap the coil around the rim of the jar's lid and attach it with a line of school glue. Remember, yellow and green Model Magic can be combined to create green.
- With more Model Magic, create patterns and extra details to go on top of the coil. These can be placed directly on top of the coil, there is no need for school glue.
- Ta-Da! Your snow globe is complete! Shake it by gently tipping it up and down. (NOTE: The figurines may come unstuck if it is shaken too hard.)
Kidcreate Studio is an art studio just for kids that offers children's art classes, camps and art-themed birthday parties for children ages 18 months through 12 years. Making a mess is the best at Kidcreate!
Make a Difference, While Making a Great Living!
Open a Kidcreate Studio and use the power of art
to positively influence the lives of children.
. . .
Try A Class For Free!
We are so confident you will love everything Kidcreate Studio has to offer your child, we invite you to come to the first class for FREE! Simply fill out our free class request form, and we will help you register for your child, completely complimentary!
Kidcreate Studio Newsletter
Classes, studio news, and special offers.