Posted on Sep 1st 2021
Clay by itself is tons of fun, but adding do-dads and trinkets will make this art project a favorite!
Your child will be inspired by the shapes and colors of fall with this fun clay mosaic art project. This project has it all; messy sensory play, colorful do-dads and a new art term for your child's art vocabulary!
Art Kidbit: Mosaic
A mosaic is an art form consisting of patterns of small pieces of tile or glass inlay in cement or grout.
- Natural color air dry clay (you can purchase this at any craft or art supply store)
- Wax paper and/or cardboard
- Miscellaneous items to use as mosaic pieces such as: beads, foam squares, rock and mosaic tile pieces. No beads or tile pieces at home? Look to nature! Rocks, sticks, and acorns all make great mosaic pieces!
- Tools (toothpick, craft stick, plastic fork, and rolling pin
- Roll the clay into a slab. For your clay newbies, a slab is a piece of clay that is rolled out flat like a pancake. Keep the slab thick, so you can push the mosaic pieces into it, and make sure it is BIG, so there is plenty of room for the mosaic. Use wax paper or a piece of recycled cardboard (or both) under the slab to make it easier to move.
- Once your slab is ready, lightly draw the shape of a leaf out on the surface. If you don't like your leaf shape, smooth it out and start again. When you are happy with your leaf drawing, go ahead and cut it out. A toothpick or craft stick works great for that.
- Now comes the fun part! Start decorating your leaf shape with beads, rocks, tiles, or any do-dad that strikes your fancy!
- Once complete, allow your mosaic to dry.
Interested in Clay Classes for Kids?
Watch for upcoming kids pottery classes at the Kidcreate Studio near you! At Kidcreate, children learn about art masters, learn art techniques, and explore creativity!
Find a Kidcreate Studio near you at -https://kidcreate.com/locations
Making a Mess is the Best!
Kidcreate Studio is an art studio just for kids that offers children's art classes, camps and art-themed birthday parties for children ages 18 months through 12 years. Making a mess is the best at Kidcreate!
Make a Difference, While Making a Great Living!
Open a Kidcreate Studio and use the power of art to positively influence the lives of children.. . .
Try A Class For Free!
We are so confident you will love everything Kidcreate Studio has to offer your child, we invite you to come to the first class for FREE! Simply fill out our free class request form, and we will help you register for your child, completely complimentary!
Kidcreate Studio Newsletter
Classes, studio news, and special offers.