Posted on Jun 9th 2017
Summer time is camp time and what is more fun at camp than craft time? Nothing!!!!! Tie-dye, rock painting, weaving, bead bracelets, nature crafts, toys and more! These are some of the classic camp crafts many parents did when they were kids. And kids still love them today! Here is a "sweet" spin on a popular toy craft project. Design and create your very own kaleidoscope filled with tiny pieces of candy. A KALEIDOSCOPE is a tube of mirrors containing loose colored beads, pebbles, or other small colored objects. The viewer looks in one end and light enters the other end, reflecting off the mirrors. The word is derived from three Greek words that together mean, "looking at beautiful forms." Materials:
- Kaleidoscope kit (available online at http://www.joann.com, https://www.amazon.com or http://www.discountschoolsupply.com )
- Roll paper for tables
- Oil pastels or colored markers
- Liquid watercolor (primary)
- Water containers
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Small pieces of hard candy (nerds, sprinkles, crushed hard candy, etc.)
- Design the outside of their kaleidoscope by drawing on the tube with oil pastels or markers. Maybe give the tube a candy theme by drawing different types of candy, or creating a peppermint striped pattern.
- Now paint the tube with watercolor paint. You will paint right over the your oil pastel drawings. (Skip this step if you decorated your tube with markers!)
- Fold the mirror paper into a triangle along the perforations and secure with tape. Slide the triangle into the end of the tube.
- Put the candy into the end piece that doesn't have a hole in it. Leave enough room for the clear piece to fit inside and for the candy to move around a little to change the patterns inside the kaleidoscope.
- Place the clear circle on top of the candy and hot glue this piece to the end of the tube.
- Place the other plastic end (the one with a hole for viewing) on the tube.
- Ta-Da! You've done it! Turn the tube slowly while looking through the hole to see the color patterns change.
Kidcreate Studio is an art studio just for kids that offers children's art classes, camps and art-themed birthday parties for children ages 18 months through 12 years. Making a mess is the best at Kidcreate!Open a Kidcreate Studio and use the power of art to positively influence the lives of children. Click here to learn more about franchise opportunities with Kidcreate Studio. .
Try A Class For Free!
We are so confident you will love everything Kidcreate Studio has to offer your child, we invite you to come to the first class for FREE! Simply fill out our free class request form, and we will help you register for your child, completely complimentary!
Kidcreate Studio Newsletter
Classes, studio news, and special offers.